Thursday 12 February 2009

Kathmandu - It's Cold here



Its 5:30am on Thursday morning and its cold, well its 14C in my room, but I feel cold, which is why I am typing this in bed, with a shirt and jacket on.
Getting to sleep was difficult.. The bed has a big heavy doona on it and it took about 2 hours for me to warm it to a suitable temperature.
Kathmandu, like the whole of Nepal, only has intermittent mains electricity, overnight, it came on between midnight and 5am.. Useful eh?

We flew into Kathmandu on the 1:30pm flight from Pockhara, which actually left pockhara about 3pm and arrived Kathmndu at 3:30pm, I guess we were installed in our hotel in the city by about 4:30pm.

Kathmandu is a great city, you could do a lot of shopping here, but when you have a 20kg baggage allowance and a 17kg para glider, it limits you somewhat :) I am already overweight on my lugguage!

We wandered around our part of town for a couple of hours while working up an appitite, and then ate.

I ate at an 'Organic food Cafe and Salad bar' which is not my normal kind of place but I was wooed by the free WiFi internet.
I had this amazing bowl of soup there, and the best coffee that I have had in Nepal, which isnt saying much.
The soup was a vegatable soup that contaied all the veggies that I could imagine, and in case that wasnt enough, it had a lot of rice in it, it was a huge bowl and really really filling.. I ate it all :)
Here is a picture of th soup....

And some dogs sleeping i a doorway :)

Our plan for today is to find breakkfast somewhere and leave for the airport at 10am, arriving there at 11am.
Mick and John's flight is meant to leave for Singapore at 1:15pm and mine is meaant to leave for Bangkok at 1:55pm, but in Nepal, these flights times are approximate :)

It will be strange for me to go from being too cold in Kathmandu, to being too hot in Bangkok, but I am looking forward to the idea.

Thanks for the comments, it is good to know that someone reads these ramblings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the soup :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some nice travels (BESIDES BEING SICK). As an ex-pat, I’m putting together listings of free wifi hotspots in Kathmandu that you can check out here. No need to pay for internet if you are traveling on a shoestring budget.